Thursday, June 19, 2008

June 2008 has proved to be a big month

Priority Data Systems, Inc. is officially closed for business. Or Vertafore or AMS or Silverplume or whatever they're calling themselves these days. I'm pretty sure we ended with Silverplume.

9 years ago I started at PDS at a tech support rep, fielding angry calls daily from customers hating our software. I do not look back on that fondly. But it gave me a chance to move into programming, which I promptly did. I moved up the ladder here and got as high as I cared to go (management was not treated well here so I shied away from that), which ended up with me staying here until the bitter end. We have been through 3 buy outs, some happy and infinitely better than others.
9 years is a long time, so I should be proud. I will take with me some very marketable skills that I didn't have to sit in a classroom to learn. But I also take with me some very specific skills that won't transfer anywhere. Such is life.

Right now I am just marinating in the news, unable to do anything about it. And work today was just business as usual. It feels odd. With a move and a vacation coming up in the next few weeks, before I even end my time here, I feel I have time. Let's hope I'm right.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL Teresa--you are "my" Teresa!! I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure!

Good luck in the giveaway!!

Ronda's Rants said...

I worked for a bank in Flordia for 10 years and "they" sold themselves to the second biggest bank. Barnett Bank sold to Nations Bank which later bought Bank of America. I left as soon as the merger was finished...my choice. It was odd I made it through all the layoffs and watching friends get fired and higher ups demoted and other too awful things...I made it through that and just one day...I said I am done and gave me two weeks notice! To this day...I don't know why I decided to leave after it should have gotten better. It was just a full year of solid stress! Much happier now...I am self employed! Enjoyed your blog post...